Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cycling Monk


It is almost here. It's less than 2 days until my dad and I board a plane for Vancouver. As you can see, our heads and faces are now ready for the trip. Like any other time you make a plan for months in advance, it seems so far away until it's right on you. It's only 4 weeks of my life, but it feels much more epic than just another month of being alive. That might seem obvious, because I'm going on an adventure that few people get to experience. But, it's not just that. I can't explain it very well, but I have a feeling that something momentous is going to happen. Now that I think about it, I had a similar feeling before I left for Ecuador. I don't mean to freak you out by saying that. I don't have an expectation of any sort of bodily harm. I guess I could sum it up by saying that I'm expectant and excited about the potential of this trip. Because of the nature of what we're doing, there's going to be so much space and time to listen to, know and move with God. In order to further facilitate that function, I'm planning on doing a fast of sorts for those 4 weeks. Essentially, I'm going to take a break from everything that is not within arms reach. This means I'm doing away with phones, TVs, movies, and internet (and cars, too). I'll be sort of a cycling monk, living simply and fully where I am. In this time, I don't want to miss anything that's going on around me. I want to be completely available to see, hear, do and say. Just to be completely honest with you, I will have my cell phone with me. I'll have to make a call or 2 to hook up with my friend Dan in Oregon. Other than that, it will remain off unless I absolutely need it for an emergency or something. I won't be checking my voice mail or text messages no matter what. I know you're probably disappointed that you won't be able to keep up with my trip via blog, but don't worry. I'm keeping a journal on the trip, and I'll post blogs about my trip when I get back. It'll be like a game show on TV where they tape the whole series in a matter of days and then show them over the next few weeks.

So, yes, I am very excited about my trip and all that will happen in the month of September. You'll hear from me again when I return.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun! Stay safe..

Unknown said...

I am so pumped for you. I know exactly what you mean about the expectant feeling.. I feel the same about this year... I know God will move mightily in your openness this month. Be safe.. I hope to hear from you on the other side. :)

Unknown said...

ps.

www.thatgodmightmove.blogspot.com