Saturday, April 12, 2008

From "Rider" to "Biker"

I feel like I can officially say that I am a "biker." I'm not longer just a casual "rider" meandering through city streets or doing a Ride and Decide. The reason: I hit the 50 mile mark for the first time today, making a total of 90 miles this week. I think I'll always be more of a runner than a biker, but there's a slight possibility that, as I train for the ride in September, I might be won over. I don't think I've told everyone about what the ride entails, so here it goes. My dad and I are going to ride from Canada to Mexico down the west coast this September. As you may know, this is the kind of thing my dad does from time to time. He's been from Seattle, WA to Portland, ME, from Montana to Alaska and various other trips all over the U.S. I'll be the rookie on this trip, but I'm counting on my youth (and a lot of training) to aide me in keeping up with the ol' man. I've never been to the west coast before (unless you count AK or the Seattle airport) so I'm pretty excited about seeing some new ground. If there's anything I absolutely must see in Washington, Oregon or California (somewhat near the coast), please let me know. Needless to say, this is going to be a sweet man trip.

Riding 50 miles would have been a great way to spend 3 hours of my Saturday if it weren't for the fact that I had work 20 minutes after I arrived back at the house. Oh dear. Upon arriving at work I scarfed a taco salad and went along my way cleaning and filling "the new section." I wasn't looking forward to my 6 hour shift being as tired as I was, but I found surprising clarity and spiritual focus. It was great. There was a kid going crazy and screaming and his parents were getting mad at him. I prayed that peace would overtake the table, and seconds later the kid stopped crying and soon after the whole table was laughing and having a good time. Realizing I was in sync with God, I took advantage of it, and for the first couple hours, I had a great time of prayer for my coworkers and friends. It ended up being a moderately busy night, so I'm exhausted now. I'm going to sleep hard tonight.

Sunburn from bike ride=bad. Cookies and cream ice cream from the paleteria=good.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Way to be! At least once, I've gotta join you on one of those shorter "rides."

Unknown said...

Wow! 50 miles is quite an accomplishment - and on such a windy day. You have a chance of keeping up with dad now. Dad was sick this week (as you know) and George Handy said, "Oh, good. Now Eddie will only ride 6 times as fast as everyone else in the club!"

I only rode 37 miles on Saturday so you beat me. Let me know when you ride over 70 in a day so I will know when you catch my record. Proud of you. Keep up the good work. Pretty exhilarating, isn't it? God has an awesome trip planned for you and Dad.