Friday, October 5, 2007

"The Big Country"

It still gets me every time when someone, usually on the radio or TV, refers to Abilene and/or West Texas as "the big country". Haha. So anyways...

It's been great to be a little more active this week. Last night I played ultimate frisbee for a couple hours. I prewarned all the players I wouldn't be doing too much running due to being shot and stuff. After playing a while, I got to where I could jog without hurting too much. The problem arose when I reached out to catch a touchdown and did a roll (don't worry I scored). The roll didn't feel all that great, but that triggered some nasty allergies. For the next hour, I fought the urge to sneeze (because it still hurts a lot) to no avail. Finally the battle subsided after showering. I also geared up and went for a bike ride this afternoon. I was cruisin along at 18 mph or so and feelin pretty good, so I figured I'd go to Hodges, 11 miles away, and then come back. What I realized after turning around what there was a reason for the first half ease. Apparently, I had a nice 15 mph tail wind (which translates into a 15 mph head wind) and more down hills than up on the way out. I had much time to ponder upon my miscalculation for the next hour as I trudged back to Abilene, just barely finishing my 22.23 mile ride. Nevertheless, it feels so good to be tired from exercising and not just from walking 15 ft.

Another little fun thing that happened today was coming back to my house this morning, after doing some bike accessory shopping, to find the power off. Good times. When I changed the electricity over to my name earlier in the week, they informed me the wouldn't be able to accomplish this until Monday. Gotta love it. Thankfully I have gracious friends, the Pattersons, who are letting me crash at their place while they're gone this weekend.

In other news, I'm still looking for a job. I'd love some prayers for that. Thanks.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey Daniel! Welcome back to Abilene!! The other day, Megan and I were discussing the fact that you are back in town, and we decided that we should hang out. We are always looking for friends, and since we are already friends, it works out quite nicely! What are your thoughts?

Unknown said...

Hi friend. This weekend brought me to the realization that there are few men out there these days with great hearts.. I think youre one of them. Ill try to be a good person and call you soon.

Jim said...

Hey Daniel,

Had youth group last night with Becki and we talked about you. You are missed here and your name gets brought up frequently -- mostly with good things to say.

Had 8 kids there last night to learn about God and God's many names and what he means to us. Cool. My son kicked but on the name game Becki played. Glad some things are rubbing off.

You take care down there.

Peace,

Jim