Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Appointments, Appointments

On Saturday, I had a visit with Dr. Hendrickson, my overseeing doctor. She said she was really pleased with how I'm healing up. She then went on to give us the rest of the story that all the doctors had danced around while I was in the hospital. She told us that a couple of the doctors had been impressed with me when I entered the hospital. Not because of my stunning good looks or my boyish charm, but because of how badly my insides were infected. She then went on to say that the doctors weren't sure if I was going to make it. Hearing that was really sobering, realizing just how close to death I was. It also made me so thankful for all the prayers and for God choosing to heal me. She also stressed how important it is that I wait to move to Seattle until the wound on my back is completely closed up which brings me to my next visit.

Yesterday, I had my normal Monday appointment with the ET nurses to have the dressing on my back changed. After Kaleen took the sponge out, we talked about how much more time it will take. She estimated 3 or 4 more weeks. At this point, one side of the wound is about 2.5 cm deep while the other side is pretty much zero. It's weird how it's not healing evenly anymore, but it's sweeping in from one side and standing still on the other. So, we're still praying for the miracle of my back being completely healed in the next few days. Keep praying. The only other thing that has to be taken care of besides the back-wound is making sure the infection is gone which brings me to my next visit.

This morning was my check-up with the infectious disease doctor. I had a C/T scan on Friday, which the results of would determine if he would take me off of IV antibiotics. As we walked towards the examination room, I snuck a peak over towards the counter where my next round of antibiotics usually waits for me. I didn't get a good look at all the bags, but I didn't see one with my name on it which gave me more hope. The nurse came in and checked my vitals and told us the doctor would be right in. In a few minutes, he came in and immediately told us the C/T scan had shown that all the infection was gone and the nurse would come back to take out the P.I.C.C. line. The doctor told me how "lucky" I was and how bad I had been when he first saw me. He prescribed a couple antibiotics that I'll take orally for another month, but otherwise I'm done with all that stuff. Thank you God! I can finally wash my left elbow regions again!

So all in all, good stuff is happening and God is working. My prayer for today is that God's will will be done on earth as it is in Heaven, especially in my life.

2 comments:

Becki said...

I'm glad to hear you have yet another line gone and out of there. Enjoy your shower!!! Can't wait to run into you again somewhere but until then I guess email will do. Love you (love your family too) and heal with God's speed.

Mark said...

horray for left elbow regions! It's been great hanging with you the last few weeks. Hope that's a sign of things to come.